Veganism has become increasingly popular in today’s culture. It’s no longer considered an ultra-extreme lifestyle choice for hippies but has instead become the norm for many people across the world. While veganism is based on several factors, animal cruelty and health are two of the biggest ones that contribute to the rising trend of veganism.
For this reason, many people have cut out various forms of dairy from their diet as well as meat. Some people nowadays don’t just limit themselves to ditching Dairy Milk or avoiding a rare steak, but they have even gone as far as ditching the delicious hazelnut spread known as Nutella. Nutella is considered a vegan product by many corporations, but it’s still not technically vegan due to the addition of milk protein. For this reason, many vegans are left without a chocolate hazelnut spread that tastes as good as Nutella.
My 5 Favorite Vegan-Friendly Nutella Alternatives
While many vegans who are missing their former go-to chocolate hazelnut spread now have to settle for the significantly less tasty alternatives, there are still five products out on the market that will make you forget you ever missed Nutella.
Nocciolata Organic Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
It was founded by a vegan woman who was tired of settling for chocolate-hazelnut spreads that were neither healthy nor tasty. In keeping with this idea, the company also donates one dollar from every sale to a charity that helps women gain access to education.
While chocolate hazelnut spreads are mostly vegan, many aren’t organic and contain unpronounceable ingredients. The company has made a conscious effort to use organic and non-GMO products to ensure that their spread remains healthy while still retaining the best flavor possible.
Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
It was founded by a vegan man who was tired of settling for non-tasty chocolate-hazelnut spreads. In keeping with this idea, the company also donates one dollar from every sale to a charity that helps women gain access to education.
It is a different brand than Nocciolata but is similar in many ways. It was founded by vegan Canadians and provides a healthy alternative to Nutella that often goes on sale at major retailers such as Walmart.
- FINE & RAW – Fine & Raw Chocolate Bars are handmade in Brooklyn. They are made with 100% organic ingredients, ethically sourced cacao, no refined sugars are all plant-based.
- BEAN TO BAR CHOCOLATE – Fine & Raw works with a farmer co-op in Ghana and one in Ecuador. Working directly with farmers allows Fine & Raw to choose the highest quality beans and support farmers who are contributing to their communities in positive ways with equitable labor.
- CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT BUTTER - Basically the best thing you could ever eat with a spoon. The world’s best cacao and the world’s best hazelnuts combine into a totally addictive spread. For ice cream, waffles, strawberries, and especially for eating straight out of the jar!
- LIMITED INGREDIENTS - Organic hazelnuts, organic coconut sugar, organic cacao bean, organic cacao powder, organic whole ground vanilla, sea salt.
- Includes 1 (8 Ounce) Jar
Don’t Go Nuts Chocolate Soybean Spread
It was founded by two vegan athletes who were tired of settling for non-tasty chocolate-hazelnut spreads. In keeping with this idea, the company also donates ten percent of any sales to charities that help people in their local communities.
This spread is a great choice for people who love chocolate hazelnut spread but hate the idea of supporting dairy companies with their purchases. It is also organic and contains significantly less sugar than many other nut butter spreads on the market, which makes it a healthier alternative to most brands of nut-butter spreads that contain large amounts of sugar.
Below is Korean Traditional Fermented Soybean Paste, it is not a spread, just FYI!
- Elemental Korean ingredient made from Meju (traditionally fermented soybeans) and salt
- Korean pantry staple that adds distinct earthy and toasty flavor to Korean dishes like Doenjang Jjigae(Korean Soybean Stew)
- Cornerstone in Korean cuisine: Doenjang Jjigae (Korean Soybean Stew), Korean BBQ marinades, Ssamjang (dipping sauce), stir-fry and soup. Enhance savory taste and elevate everyday Korean cooking
- Perfect complement to Korean BBQ dishes such as Samgyupsal, Galbi and Bulgogi - work it into BBQ marinades and/or dipping sauce
- Made in Korea; Keep your Doenjang tub in the refrigerator
JEM’s Raw & Organic Chocolate Hazlenut Butter
This one is quite good if you’re looking for a chocolate-hazelnut flavor without the chocolate. It’s raw, organic, non-GMO, 100% plant-based, and delicious!
This one is quite good if you’re looking for a chocolate-hazelnut flavor without the hazelnuts. It’s raw, organic, vegan, 70% plant-based, and delicious!
Nutiva’s Vegan Hazelnut Spread with Chia & Flax
It was founded by a vegan couple who were tired of settling for non-tasty chocolate-hazelnut spreads. In keeping with this idea, the company also gives five percent of all profits to charity and recycles cans on an annual basis.
This is one of the healthier options because it contains chia seeds and flaxseed oil. It is also certified gluten-free.
- Upgrade your Almond Butter: NuttZo Organic Power Fuel Nut Butter offers a smooth or crunchy, tasty blend of seven nuts and seeds including cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, flax seeds, chia seeds, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds.
- Clean Eating Made Simple: No added sugar, no palm oil, 6g of protein, and non-GMO ingredients.
- Perfect for Every Eating Style: This natural, crunchy nut butter is keto-friendly, gluten-free, peanut-free, vegan, and Kosher.
- Plant-based Snacking: Add to smoothies for a protein punch, drizzle on your favorite pancakes or desserts, spread on fruit, crackers and veggies, or enjoy by the spoonful–however you like, snack on!
- Upside Down Jar: Because NuttZo nut butters do not contain preservatives, stabilizers, palm oils or artificial ingredients, this product is more susceptible to ingredient separation, making the oils appear to have settled on top. This is perfectly normal. Use one beater in a hand-mixer or a butter knife to stab and stir into a creamy butter (this may take patience and some muscles with a knife). Refrigerate or store in cupboard lid-side-up once opened and stirred.
Frequently asked questions
How do you eat Nocciolata?
Answer: Nocciolata tastes amazing on toast, crepes, waffles, pancakes, and just about anything else that’s edible! It also makes a fantastic dip for fruit as well as a topping for ice cream. In other words, it goes with almost anything!
What are the ingredients in Nocciolata?
Answer: The ingredients inside of Nocciolata are 100% organic hazelnuts, organic cocoa beans, organic coconut palm sugar, whole organic cocoa powder, organic ground vanilla. That’s it! There are no preservatives or palm oil. It’s simply a hazelnut and cocoa-based spread with added coconut sugar.
Each of these five brands can provide an awesome product without hurting animals, the environment, or your health in the process. Their marketing strategy is to provide the best product for a low price, which is what many organic brands do. They are also well known for their commitment to ethical efforts, which sets them apart from their competitors. The future of food is here, so be sure to try out these brands!